Education Department Internships
About the opportunity
The Education department is excited to offer summer internships for qualified undergraduate and graduate students. Interns will work closely with the Youth & Outreach Program Coordinator to facilitate Summer Tour Plus, an annual educational program designed for local K-12 student groups. The program includes docent-led tours through the galleries and fun cultural activities focused on Japanese arts and culture.
Professional development opportunities include:
- Experience implementing art-based activities
- Development of leadership and management skills
- Cultivation of effective communication and teamwork strategies
- Experience working in a cultural heritage and non-profit organization with museum professionals
The 2018 summer program will run from June 14th to August 10th from Tuesday through Friday from 9:30am to 12:30pm. Interns may occasionally be asked to stay a later as some tours run late. There is some room for flexibility in scheduling depending on interns’ availability.
This is an unpaid internship. College credit may be granted, but must be coordinated in advance with the intern’s university/college.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Assist the Youth & Outreach Program Coordinator in preparing activities for our Summer Tour Plus (STP) Program
- Implement craft-based activities during the STP program
- Oversee high school volunteers assisting with the activities
- Create a positive learning environment for the tour groups
- Oversee a rotation of gallery tours provided by museum docents
- Assist the Education Department with other tasks as needed
- Knowledge of Japanese culture
- Experience working with children
Interested applicants should e-mail their resume to Alexandra Weaver, Youth and Outreach Program Coordinator, at email@example.com. The deadline to submit the application is Monday, May 14th, 5PM.