Bonsai means “a tree in a tray.” The art of bonsai creates the illusion of age and maturity of a tree which has developed and sustained the effects of nature for many years. Students of bonsai learn to artfully trim and train a tree in a container. Beginners and Intermediate Students welcome!
- Days: Sundays, 5-week sessions
- Beginners: 1:00pm – 4:00pm
- Intermediate: 9:00am – 12:00pm (All Sessions are Now SOLD OUT)
- Session 1: Oct. 4, 11, 18, 25, Nov. 1
- Session 2: Nov. 8, 15, 22, Dec. 6, 20
- Session 3: Jan. 3, 17, 24, 31, Feb. 7
- Session 4: Feb. 14, 21, 28, Mar. 7, 14
- 5-week Session: $91 ($81 members)
- Beginners: $45
- Intermediate: NA
Note: Please pay fee to instructor via cash or check on first day of class.
- The prerequisite for the intermediate class is ‘The Art of Bonsai’ Beginners class or prior approval by the instructor before registering for the course.
- Oki Education Center
- Bonsai learning manual
- Pruning tool
- One beginner’s bonsai tree
- Bonsai pot
- Use of wire and bonsai soil
BEGINNERS: All materials should be purchased in the classroom, or bought on the first day of class. It is suggested that you arrive 20 minutes early to purchase your materials before the start of class
Bring all of your own materials:
- Bonsai Tree
- Pruning tools
- Bonsai pots, soil and wire as needed
- Some materials may be purchased from the instructor (ask in class)
Meet Your Instructor
As the noted curator of the Morikami Museum’s extensive bonsai collection since 2010, Vlad Foursa is currently redesigning the exhibit and enhancing it with outstanding bonsai trees. Vlad’s been teaching at the Morikami for almost a decade and has developed a loyal following of students. In 2008 he won the coveted Joshua Roth National New Talent Bonsai Competition. He has written articles on tropical bonsai, has won a number of awards, has appeared on TV and is a guest speaker at many local bonsai clubs and schools from elementary to college where he does demonstrations and workshops. Students will learn and apply basic principles of the art of bonsai, including horticultural aspects of growing bonsai, styling care and maintenance.