The use of indigo dye, or aizome, has a long and cherished history in Japan. The deep blue colors for which Japanese textiles are celebrated come from the leaves of the tade ai, a plant introduced to Japan from China in the sixth century. Shibori is a Japanese technique of manual resist dyeing used to make patterns on fabrics. Learn various shibori techniques and get a chance to make your own shibori creation. In December, cook in style by making your own shibori apron to wear. In our November and April sessions create a set of special dinner napkins for your home. Come to our January session and make a shibori scarf for your wardrobe or for a special someone.
- November 6, 2021 – Napkins 1
- December 18, 2021 – Apron
- January 8, 2022 – Scarf
- April 9, 2022 – Napkins 2 (Advanced)*
*As a prerequisite the student must have taken one of the other shibori classes before registering for Napkins 2 or already know basic shibori techniques..
Want more? Check out our new Katazome workshop.
- 10:00am – 3:00pm
- $65 per workshop
- $25 (cash payable to the instructor)
- Oki Education Center
- Rubber gloves (long ones like the ones used for dish washing)
- Apron/smock or wear clothes you don’t mind getting dirty
- Plastic bag to take wet items home (a one-gallon Ziploc would be good)
- Other materials may be added to the list as we get closer to the date of the workshop(s)
Meet Your Instructor
Formerly an interior designer and then Fine Art Gallery Director, Suzanne Connors has always loved art and textiles. Suzanne has maintained an active fiber art studio since 2008. Her academic background in architecture and design lays the groundwork for her practice using traditional shibori techniques. Creating a body of detail design, establishing order, combining simple techniques, textures and using design repetition are foundations of her work. Suzanne enjoys sharing her passion for texture, color, and pattern through her artwork and workshops. She lives in Stuart, Florida surrounded by her family, and is the founder of the Aya Fiber Studio.