Due to the ongoing COVID-19 health threat, we are suspending public programs scheduled from March 16 through September 30, 2020. Morikami will continue to reevaluate and reassess as information about the virus and its impact on public health is presented.
This level introduces kanji and starts with a review of hiragana and katakana. Part 1 focuses on reading and writing kanji before moving into the textbook in Part 2. Topics include, but are not limited to, planning a trip, talking about past experiences, and getting advice. Part 1-3 sessions of each level should be taken sequentially as a series.
Each level has 3 parts (Part 1, Part 2, Part 3) which should be taken sequentially before you can move on to the next level.
- Days: Sundays, 7-week sessions
- Time: 12:40am – 1:50pm
Dates & Content
- Dates: Oct. 6, 13, 20, 27, Nov. 3, 10, 17
- Content: review of hiragana and katakana, introduction to kanji reading and writing
- Description: This course continues from the completion of the Nihongo: Japanese Language Level II series of classes. It provides further exploration into the Japanese language and culture.
- Dates: Jan 5, 19, 26, Feb 2, 9, 16, 23
- Content: kanji, Unit 1
- Description: This course continues from Part 1 of the Japanese Language Level III class series (October-November above).
- Dates: Mar. 1, 8, 15, 29, Apr. 19, 26, May 3 (CANCELLED)
- Content: kanji, Unit 2
- Description: This course continues from Part 2 of the Japanese Language Level III class series (January-February above).
- 7-week Session: $110 ($100 members)
Note: Class sessions run 7-weeks and are purchased as a “session only,” not individual classes.
- Classroom A
- Japanese for Busy People II (revised 3rd edition) ISBN: 978-1568363868
- Japanese for Busy People II workbook (revised 3rd edition) ISBN: 978-1568364025
Both books should include the CD. Please bring with you on the first day of classes.
For questions determining your level, please contact: Lisa Niven, Education Program Coordinator, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Textbooks are not carried by the Museum Store
Meet Your Instructor
Nihongo: Introduction to Japanese Courses
Nihongo: Introduction to Japanese is a beginner and lower intermediate program teaching Japanese speaking, listening, reading, and writing. Students are introduced to Japanese culture and lifestyles through lessons and conversation. Levels I and II use Japanese for Busy People I and levels III and IV use Japanese for Busy People II.
- Class sessions run 7-weeks and are purchased as a “session only”, not individual classes.
- Each level has 3 parts (Part 1, Part 2, Part 3) which should be taken sequentially before you can move on to the next level.
- Level I can be taken as a class or as a workshop. Click Here for workshops.
- Diligent self-study is necessary to get the most out of these classes.