The Nihongo: Japanese Intensive Workshops are a fast-paced introductory series consisting of three separate 3-day sessions. The full series can be taken as an alternative to the entire Nihongo: Introduction to Japanese Level I Class series. Students who complete all three workshops will be ready for Nihongo: Introduction to Japanese Level II Class the following season. This preliminary level introduces basic survival Japanese, grammar, and hiragana writing and reading. Topics include, but are not limited to, meeting people, shopping, and dining.
- Days: Saturdays, 3-day (2 1/2 – 3 hour sessions)
- 1st & 2nd classes 1:00pm-3:30pm
- 3rd class 1:00pm-4:00pm
- Workshop 1-A: October 22, November 12, and December 10, 2022, or Workshop 1-B: January 7, 28, and February 11, 2023
- Workshop 2: February 25, March 18 & April 1, 2023
- Workshop 3: July 1, 15, & 29, 2023
Dates & Content
Level I (Workshop 1-A or 1-B)
- Dates (Choose only one):
- Workshop 1-A: October 22, November 12, and December 10, 2022
- Workshop 1-B: January 7, 28, and February 11, 2023
- Content: Introduction to hiragana, Unit 1
- Description: This course provides an introduction to the Japanese language and culture and will cover Unit 1 of the required textbook.
Level I (Workshop 2)
- Dates: February 25, March 18 & April 1, 2023
- Content: Continue hiragana, Unit 2 & 3
- Description: This course continues from Workshop 1 of the Japanese Language Level I series. It covers Units 2 and 3 of the required textbook and continues with hiragana reading and writing.
Level I (Workshop 3)
- Dates: July 1, 15, & 29, 2023
- Content: Complete hiragana, Unit 4 & 5
- Description: This course continues from Workshop 2 of the Japanese Language Level I series. It covers Units 4 and 5 of the required textbook and continues with hiragana reading and writing. It concludes the Nihongo Level I series.
- Note: Students who have completed this workshop may go on to the Nihongo Level II class in Part 1 of the following season.
- 3-Day Session: $100
- These workshops are VIRTUAL using Zoom Conferencing.
- You will need to have a dedicated connection to the internet and the use of either a computer or tablet.
- Please know a mobile phone screen is too small for the use of this course.
- Japanese for Busy People I Kana Version (revised 3rd edition) ISBN: 978-1568363851
- Japanese for Busy People Kana Workbook (revised 3rd edition) ISBN: 978-1568364018
Both books should include the CD. Please bring it with you on the first day of classes.
For questions determining your level, please contact Lisa Niven, Education Program Coordinator, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Textbooks are not carried by the Museum Store but can be purchased from most online booksellers. (i.e. Amazon and Barnes & Noble)