Bring the whole family and delve into the world of Japanese folklore or stories through kamishibai paper theater. Join us for a reading of these classic stories and learn more about the celebration of our festivals. Reading starts on the hour with a short related activity to follow.
- Family Fun days are FREE with paid museum admission. (Unless otherwise specified)
- Pre-registration is not required.
- October 1st, 2020: “The Magic Tea Kettle”
A man helps a tanuki, a raccoon dog, in distress and is later rewarded by this playful shape-shifting creature. Come learn how not all yokai are scary.
- January 7th, 2021: “How the Years Were Named”
In Japan each year belongs to one of 12 different animals in a cycle. Listen to the tale of how this tradition came to be.
- April 1st, 2021: “The Old Man Who Made the Trees Bloom”
Come hear the bittersweet tale of magical spring flowers in memory of a faithful dog.