Flower arranging, ikebana, is a traditional Japanese art form spanning centuries. Ikebana has various different schools of study, each with unique philosophies and aesthetics. The Sogetsu School is a contemporary school that focuses on the creativity and individuality of ikebana. The idea is that ikebana can be done by anyone, anywhere, with almost anything. Students will learn the basics of Sogetsu and create pieces each week to take home and enjoy. Beginners and Intermediate students welcome!
- Days: Wednesdays, 4-week sessions and 3-week sessions.
- Times: Beginners – 10:30am –12:30pm | Intermediate – 1:30pm- 3:30pm*
- Session 1: October 6, 13, 20, 27 (Canceled)
- Session 2: November 3, 10, 17 (3 weeks)
- Session 3: December 1, 8, 15 (3 weeks) (Canceled)
- Session 4: January 5, 12, 19, 26
- Session 5: February 2, 9, 16, 23
- Session 6: March 2, 9, 16, 23
- Session 7: April 6, 13, 20, 27
- Session 8: May 4, 11, 18, 25
- Session 9: June 1, 8, 15 (3 weeks)
- 4-week Session: $80 ($70 members)
- 3-week Session: $60 ($52.50 members)
Note: Class sessions run 3 or 4-weeks and are purchased as a “session only,” not individual classes. See the dates above to see how many weeks each session is.
- Beginner: $60 / 4-week session, $45 / 3-week session
- Intermediate: $80 / 4-week session, $60 / 3-week session
Note: Please pay the flower fee to the instructor via cash or check on the first day of class.
- Beginners: none | Intermediate: must have already taken the beginners course or had prior experience with Sogetsu
- Oki Education Center
- Shallow flat bottom container ( Suiban ) About 12″ diameter, 2″ to 2-1/2″ deep ( any shape )
- Flower pin holder (Kenzan) | Round 3″ diameter | Sun/Moon 3″ x 4- 1/2″ ( preferred )
- Ikebana flower scissors (garden scissors can be used)
- Sogetsu textbooks 1 & 2 (Optional)
If purchasing your materials from the instructor you will purchase them in the classroom on the first day of class. It is suggested that you arrive 20 minutes early to purchase your materials before the start of class.
Meet Your Instructor
Instructor Chieko Mihori is a Sogetsu teacher of the highest rank and recipient of several Sogetsu awards of distinction. Soei is her professional teacher’s name. She has studied with Sogetsu founder, Sofu Teshigahara, his daughter, Kasumi, and his son, Hiroshi late headmaster, and his late daughter Akane, of the Sogetsu School.