EDUCATION INTERN (unpaid)
Position reports to: Youth and Outreach Program Coordinator
The Education Intern will assist the Youth and Outreach Program Coordinator for the summer (June to Mid-August 2017). This is an unpaid internship, but will be counted as school credit (depending on approval of their school or college advisor). Someone with knowledge of Japanese culture is required. Please keep in mind that the Morikami is located in Delray Beach, FL. Those living in Miami-Dade and Broward who apply must be willing to commit to the internship and the expense from commuting to our museum. We unfortunately cannot reimburse them for their commuting expenses. The days of the internship are flexible and negotiable to fit the intern’s schedule. We would like to have the intern Tuesday through Friday, mostly in the mornings and an occasional afternoon. They may apply for two days a week or all four days a week and are negotiable to fit the intern’s schedule. However, we prefer a four days a week commitment. We believe this is a great opportunity to have hands-on experience teaching, develop management and leadership skills, learn teamwork, and use their knowledge about Japanese culture. The intern will also have an opportunity to gain experience working with a cultural and non-profit organization.
Specific Responsibilities and Duties:
- Assisting the Youth & Outreach Program Coordinator in coordinating and preparing activities for our Summer Tour Plus (STP) Program.
- Monitoring the high school volunteers in the STP Program creating a positive learning environment for the summer campers.
- Organize and direct the Hands-on-Art activity with expertise and flexibility.
- Work with museum docents to provide an educational and enjoyable Japanese cultural experience for all participants.
- Assist the Education Department with other tasks when needed.
Minimum Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Must have knowledge of Japanese language, culture, and art
- Be able to work work with people of all ages
- Ability to communicate effectively and professionally, with staff, volunteers and the public
- Ability to lead volunteers and work collaboratively
- Must commit to at least two days or more in the week
Please direct all inquiries and/or email to: firstname.lastname@example.org or at 561-233-1329
No walk ins