Volunteers fill a variety of roles to support the day-to-day operations of the museum and gardens. Read on to find out about open volunteer opportunities.
- Docents: Docents guide patrons through the galleries and gardens. They work as a team and learn through self-study and mentoring about Japanese culture and museum exhibits from Morikami staff. Attendance at monthly meetings as well as the ability to stand for long periods and walk the gardens are required.
Now Recruiting Docents!
We are actively seeking new docent educators for our year-round docent volunteer program. Docents help educate the public about the history and wonders of Morikami Museum and Japanese Gardens.
What is a Docent? A docent is a knowledgeable guide who leads visitors throughout Morikami, providing historical background about the museum and gardens, as well as answering questions about the museum and delivering commentary on the exhibitions and gardens.
Worried you don’t know enough about Japanese culture, art and gardens? Not a problem! Docents complete approximately 45 hours of training that consists of education sessions about our exhibitions and gardens (in person and online), and all docents-in-training shadow current docents during their weekly tours. Docents meet once a month on Mondays.
- A love of Japanese art and culture and a strong interest in Morikami Museum & Japanese Gardens
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to effectively communicate with small and large groups of varying ages and backgrounds
- Desire to work with others as part of a team
- Reliability, enthusiasm and commitment
- Ability to commit to one day a week (Tuesday-Friday; in addition to monthly Monday docent meetings)
- Ongoing participation in “The Way of the Docent” program including studies in local history, Japanese tea ceremony, gardens, and Morikami’s changing gallery exhibits
- Access to Museum galleries and gardens
- 20% Discount on Museum store, 30% during Members Appreciation Weekends
- 10% Discount at the Cornell Café
- Discount on museum memberships purchased at the Dual level or higher
If you are interested in exploring this fulfilling opportunity, contact Diane Valentini, at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 561-495-0233.
- Bonsai: Help preserve and protect our bonsai collection. This position requires standing for long periods of time and is outdoors year round. Experience with Bonsai is preferred. This shift is every Friday morning from 8am to 12pm.
- Collections: Volunteer alongside our museum curators in the collections department. Help maintain and catalog artifacts as well as prepare for festivals. Interviews with the Volunteer Coordinator and collections staff are required.
- Library: Our library is for reference only, meaning materials may only be read on site and cannot be checked out. It is also staffed entirely by volunteers who help patrons find materials and return them to the shelves after use and keep the library catalog up to date. Shifts are available Tuesday through Sunday from 10am to 1:30pm and 1:30pm to 5pm.
- Marketing/Surveys: Work with our marketing department to survey guests on a weekly basis and/or for select special events. Volunteers must be self-motivated, outgoing, and willing to approach patrons of all ages and backgrounds.
- Museum Store: Volunteers assist customers in the store, rearrange and restock items, as well as wrap and bag items for patrons. Museum Store volunteers must learn about the store merchandise, be able to stand for long periods of time, interact with patrons, and bend to retrieve items from lower cabinets. Shifts are available Tuesday through Sunday from 10am to 1:30pm and 1:30pm to 5pm.
- Office: Assist staff members with answering phones, filing, mailing, assembling packets, and data entry. Basic computer skills are necessary. Shifts are available Tuesday through Friday between 10am and 5pm for a minimum of three and a half hours.